Monday 15 December 2014

COLMER'S HILL

Have recently been working on an artwork as a present for someone who has a particular passion for Dorset.



It is a little departure from my usual vintage based tomfoolery and has been great to work on...
The subject is the iconic COLMER'S HILL near Bridport in Dorset.

The base of the artwork is a photograph of the hill and I've added several touches to it. The leaves and the bird are from amazing Victorian tiles in Moreton Church, near to where Laurence of Arabia is buried. The fennel is from photos I took of them near Swyre Head on the Dorset coast.

The lined textures were inspired by early 20th century linocuts, which I love, and I wanted rich and strong colours to match the gorgeous countryside you find down there.

I managed to find a lovely battered Georgian frame from Covent Garden to frame it in!

I love doing bits of artwork like this, especially using photographs, and is something I would love to do more of. Dorset is a great for artistic inspiration!


Carrying on with the countryside theme, last Sunday I found myself in the ancient woodlands of Belfairs Woods in Leigh-on-Sea. Although virtually surrounded by houses and a golf course, strangely you can still lose yourself in there and get your fix of nature! 


If you go down to the woods today.... This fantastic Green Man carving may surprise you!

The Autumn leaves still cover the woods.

Sculpture of a woodsman, giving you a glimpse of Belfairs Woods' past.

The setting sun produces some fantastic colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment